I’m back!! AND i’m sharing with you my favorite Summer cake! Yes, FAVORITE. Ultra moist cake made with zucchini, olive oil, toasted pecans and smothered with a crunchy lemon glaze.
During the Summer months, there seems to be endless amounts of zucchini, right?! This is a kick butt way to use up some of that zucchini. I made this cake back in May, for my menu project at school which was Summer squash themed.
I found the recipe from one of my all-time favorite bloggers who lives in Paris, David Lebovitz. His recipes are gold, and this one is no exception. I love cakes made with oil, especially olive oil. They just always seem to be the most moist cakes.
This recipe also includes toasted nuts AND zucchini. The lemon glaze brings the perfect balance of tartness to the cake…and it’s crunchy! It’s a mix of both powdered and granulated sugar…mixed with lemon juice. Trust me, the crunchy glaze will put a big smile on your face!
I can’t write this post and ignore the fact that I haven’t posted something on my blog since January. The guilt has been eating me away. I’ve been meaning to post something on my blog for quite sometime, I just haven’t been able to get it out.
Life in New York is much different than my life back in Minnesota. When I started my blog I could put 100% of myself into it, because I had the time. Fast forward to now —–> i’m in school and working full-time. It’s just hella hard to get into a blogging routine again. (Sigh)
I still cook all the time, whether it’s at school, work or home. I’ve learned SO SOOOO much this past year, I can’t even believe it. My style of cooking is changing and I couldn’t be more happy about it. With all this newfound knowledge, i’ve gotta share it, right?!
I’m taking baby steps to get back into posting…bare with me 😉
Here’s the recipe for this amazing zucchini cake. I hope you try it and enjoy it as much as I do!!
- 1 C Almonds, pecans or walnuts, toasted
- 2 C All purpose flour
- 1 Tsp Baking powder
- ½ Tsp Baking Soda
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 2 Tsp Ground cinnamon
- 1 Tsp Ginger, fresh or ground
- ½ Tsp Ground nutmeg
- 3 Eggs, room temperature
- 1 and ¾ C Sugar
- 1 C Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tsp Vanilla
- 2 and ½ C finely grated zucchini
- ¼ C Freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ⅓ C Granulated sugar
- 1 C Powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease bundt cake pan, dust lightly with flour. Set aside. Pulse the nuts in food processor until finely chopped. Set aside. Wash zucchini and grate. Set aside.
- In medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg. Set aside.
- In a bowl using either a stand or hand mixer with paddle attachment, beat eggs, sugar and olive oil for 3 minutes at medium speed or until light and fluffy. Scrape down sides of bowl as you go. Add vanilla until combined. Stir in flour mixture just until combined. Stir in chopped nuts and zucchini.
- Pour batter into bundt pan and bake for 45 to 50 minutes. Cake tester should come out clean and cake has begun to pull away from pan.
- When cake is almost done, whisk together ingredients for glaze.
- Let the cake cool for 10 minutes, then carefully invert it onto a cooling rack. Brush or gently pour glaze all over cake. Cool completely before serving.
Recipe courtesy: David Lebovitz
Happy Sunday, y’all. My favorite day of the week.
AND the prefect day to make a cake…don’t ya think?!
Thanks for visiting LEFT SIDE OF THE TABLE 😀