Galettes are super simple to make and extremely versatile with filling. In this recipe I stuffed an incredibly flaky and flavorful crust with juicy tart cinnamon apples. I topped it off with pecans, walnuts and a generous drizzle of my fabulous homemade Salted Caramel Sauce. AMAZING Fall dessert made with L.O.V.E.
BONJOUR from New York City!!! I say bonjour because being in NYC is reminding me of my sweet time living in Paris back in 2012 🙂
I’ve finally made it this far AND it feels wonderful.
I’ve been waiting so long and worked very hard to make this move happen.
Just like that, here I am. Typing my blog post from a Starbucks down the street from where I live in NYC. Is this real life??
I feel like I haven’t posted in forever!! Even though it was just one week. I truly needed the time to get my mind straight as I left MN. It was hard for me to leave my sweet family and friends behind.
But sometimes in life you have to take risks and do things for yourself.
If ever there was a time for me to live in NYC, this is the time.
To catch you up to speed with my crazy past week – my mom, and dear family friend Marie drove me to NYC in my mom’s SUV filled to the brim with stuff.
Lots of tears saying goodbye to Kristin and my little dog Daisy (and everyone else of course, they were just the last ones!)
Longest car ride ever split into 2 days!
We arrived late last Wednesday evening. It was awful moving my stuff in since we couldn’t park right outside my building. But we survived and it all got into my apartment. We finished the evening off eating pizza on the floor of my apartment which is completely necessary when moving! It was awesome!
I share an apartment with 3 others in northern Manhattan. Newly renovated and HUGE! My mom, Marie and I did sightseeing and got me settled for the following days. They left me Sunday morning.
Since I got here I’ve been running around all over trying foods. I’m SO thankful to be surrounded by so many wonderful restaurants, markets, foodies…it’s awesome! I’ll save all of that for another post 😉
Now to focus on this wonderful Apple & Nut Galette with Salted Caramel Sauce.
Yes. This dessert has got it goin’ on!
I made this back home before I left.
I recently have found a new love with galettes. It’s like a mix of a pie and tart. It can be anything you want it to be.
I had been dreaming all Summer of making one with apples.
I’m obsessed with nuts, and thought it would be the perfect addition. Topping it all off with my Salted Caramel Sauce I posted a few weeks back was a no brainer.
Seriously you guys, this recipe is FABulous!!
Not to mention the crust is ULTRA flaky. The flakiest crust i’ve ever made.
We all love Fall food right? Well here’s another recipe to try!
I hope you enjoy it 🙂
- 2 sticks cold unsalted butter
- 2 and ½ C. flour
- 1 Tsp. salt
- 2 Tsp. sugar
- ½ C. ice water, very cold
- 4 large apples
- ½ lemon juice
- ⅓ C. sugar
- 1 Tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ C. heavy cream
- extra sugar fro crust
- ¼ C. raw chopped nuts, pecans walnuts
- First, place 1.5 sticks of butter, cut up and in the freezer for 30 minutes. Keep the other .5 stick of butter cold in the fridge. In the meantime, prep flour, salt and sugar in a large food processor. Ice water to make sure cold.
- Once butter has been in freezer first add refrigerated butter to flour mixture. Pulse about 10 times. Next add frozen butter chunks. Pulse until it resembles pieces the size of blueberries.
- Add ice water and pulse only until combined. If it looks like you need more water, add more as necessary. Once it can form into a ball, flatten into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Once the dough is ready, set oven to 400 and prep apples. Wash, peel and slice. Add lemon juice, sugar and cinnamon. Stir until combined. Roll out dough about 12 to 14 inches or as big as you want. Put dough on cookie sheet before adding apples. Place apples in a design or just dump. Leave a 2 " edge to fold. On folded edge, brush cream and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for about 45 to 1 hour or until golden brown. Check after 30 minutes and foil the edges if getting dark brown. 15 minutes before done add the chopped nuts.
- Serve immediately or once cooled. Salted Caramel Sauce recipe link below.
**Crust recipe courtesy Martha Stewart**
I can’t wait to begin cooking in my new kitchen!!
Right now we’re having trouble with the gas being hooked up.
Lots of exciting things to come and new adventures for me!
I begin school on Friday. It will be exciting to see how much it changes my cooking 😉
Thanks so much for visiting LEFT SIDE OF THE TABLE today!
Have a wonderful Wednesday!