A healthy meal made in a breeze AND with a short ingredient list – my kinda meal! Spicy chicken sausage goes perfectly with crispy sweet potato and loads of fresh kale. Seasoned with onion, garlic and red pepper flakes! BAM!
Sounds like i’m channeling my inner Emeril Lagasse!!
But that’s just how i’m feeling about this dish!
I have been dreaming of eating kale and sweet potato together for quite some time.
(cause you know, naturally these are the kind of things I think about)
Just never got around to cooking them together!
I think I was waiting until it was closer to Fall because for some reason…they just seem like Fall deliciousness 😀
I had bought some gorgeous baby kale from my FAVORITE farmers market in Minneapolis – Mill City Farmers Market.
Since I usually buy a ton at the farmers market, unfortunately some fresh produce somehow disappears in my fridge and I forget about it.
I had this kale for like a week and it magically appeared again and I realized I needed to eat it quick!
Not really sure how this sausage, sweet potato and kale skillet exactly formed in my head.
I had originally wanted chorizo instead of spicy chicken sasuage…but after scouring two grocery stores and having no luck….I decided to go with spicy chicken sausage!
Plus, it’s probably a bit healthier.
It turned out FABulous!
I love this dish because it has such a mixture of strong flavors from the spicy sausage, sweet form the potatoes and the sharpness kale brings.
I added lots of onion, fresh garlic and more heat with red pepper flakes. Of course a little olive oil too.
This meal holds true to my latest cooking obsession – red pepper flakes! My family jokes that I put it in everything now. I would attest I don’t use it in EVERYTHING, but okay.
I’ll admit. I ADORE red pepper flakes these days.
This meal is clean, filled with protein and tons of vitamins from the sweet potato and kale.
It’s filling, yet would be perfectly acceptable to serve with a small side – I would pair fruit, a bread, rice, quinoa…endless ideas.
Plus, this meal is made in ONE pan – skillet style!
Who likes to wash 20 dishes from making dinner every night?!
Here’s the recipe, Enjoy 🙂
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 sweet potatoes, sliced
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 2 spicy chicken sausage links (precooked), sliced
- ½ Tsp. red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 C. kale, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- First, begin to prep sweet potatoes. Wash, dry and thinly slice potatoes. Set aside in a medium bowl. Dice ½ onion and add to sliced potatoes. Lastly, slice pre-cooked sausage. Add to potatoes and onion.
- Heat skillet to medium heat, adding 2 tbsp. olive oil.
- Add potato, onion and sausage mixture. Add red pepper flakes, and salt/pepper. Cook for about 15 to 18 minutes over medium heat stirring frequently to prevent burning. Cook until potatoes are done and all ingredients are browned.
- Add kale, garlic and drizzle an additional 2 tbsp. or so of olive oil. May want to add a pinch or two of salt and pepper once again. Stir together cooking the kale for about 5 to 8 minutes. Don't want to over cook kale. Serve immediately.
Feel free to try ANY sausage in this dish. You can easily substitute uncooked sausage as well.
Make it your own 😉
I need to try it with chorizo. Still super curious how it would taste!
I’m going to have to make this dinner again soon.
Thanks so much for visiting LEFT SIDE OF THE TABLE today!!