Buttery, moist scones with delightful chunks of blueberry and peaches in every bite. Oh baby, these are too good to pass up this Summer – especially when they’re right out of your oven!
I’m not a muffin person…
I’m a SCONE person.
Muffins are great and all, but I get bored after I eat the muffin top? Anyone with me?
Scones are flavorful with every bite.
I probably love them so much, because it’s basically a biscuit with chunks of goodness in it!
I love LOVE getting a scone from a cute little coffee shop or bakery. Sitting there with a pretty latte or cup of tea. Bliss.
Surprisingly, haven’t made scones often at home.
Why?? Probably because sometimes I lack self control…I ate 3 of them from the first test batch! 😛 Yikes!
I actually bake quite a bit. My sisters will even ask me “Kel, do you like baking more than cooking meals?”
Hah, always have to laugh…cause I really enjoy baking, but I see that as just me loving food the way I do.
Last week was my mama’s birthday and I baked her a little cake.
I posted this on instagram last week!
My mom requested a cake with buttercream frosting – I chose a cake from Sally’s Baking Addiction that I had actually made for Katie’s birthday back in March – Homemade Funfetti Cake. I doubled the recipe to make a 2 layer cake.
Twas amazing. It even had sprinkles!
I’ve been a cake snob for as long as I can remember. I used to HATE store bought cake. The frosting just was always so gross and the cake was dry. I would only eat store bought cake from a higher end grocery store in MN called Byerlys.
Not like my parents ever would go to an actual bakery. Boo.
I hate box cake.
Don’t even get me started on that jared frosting…
Everyone deserves an awesome cake on their birthday, don’t ya think? I make it a point to make my family and loved ones a cake for their birthday!
Plus, i’m getting better with every cake I make!
Aside from the wonderful cake I made for my mom’s birthday, we also had a little dinner party. I made her favorite things – Pico De Gallo with Avocado, BBQ chicken legs with homemade BBQ sauce and all. Plus corn on the cob and sweet potato fries.
It was such a beautiful evening on the deck with wonderful company and fabulous food.
What’s better than that right?!
SCONES – obviously…
But really, these scones are pleasantly moist and bursting with blueberry and peach flavor. Those two Summer fruits make a mighty fine combo!
Here’s the recipe, Enjoy 🙂
- 2 C. flour
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 4 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- ½ Tsp. salt
- 6 Tbsp. butter, very cold
- ⅔ to 1 C. heavy cream
- 1 Tsp. vanilla
- ½ C. peaches, diced (about 1 peach)
- ½ C. blueberries (frozen is fine)
- Extra cream
- Extra sugar
- Set oven to 400 degrees F. Prepare a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, add flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Whisk together until well blended.
- Take cold butter and cut into small cubes. Using a pastry blender/fork/food processor blend butter until flour looks course. Butter chunks should look like corn meal.
- Add vanilla to cream. Slowly pour cream in mixture. Only add enough milk so dough comes together. You don't want your dough to be too sticky. Should be between ⅔ and 1 cup of cream.
- Once dough has come together fold in fruit (keep fruit frozen if using frozen.) Fold just until combined. It's ok if some blueberries burst.
- Grab dough into a ball and place on a floured surface. Using hands gently form into a 1 inch thick circle. Should be about 8 inches across. Don't let circle be less than 1 inch thick otherwise your scones will be flat.
- Using a sharp knife, cut into 8 triangles, like a pizza. Place on prepared baking sheet. Brush with extra cream and dust with sugar. Cook in oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve immediately. Best if eaten the day they're made. They freeze well.
**Recipe adapted from Two Peas & Their Pod**
Go ahead – go to the kitchen and bake these! Or make it on a weekend morning 🙂 Doesn’t that sound lovely?
Just don’t eat 3 like I did…
Thanks so much for visiting LEFT SIDE OF THE TABLE!!
Have an awesome Wednesday!