|| A bright and colorful summer salad loaded with veggies, crispy french bread, fresh herbs, drizzled with extra virgin olive oil and lemon juice! One of my favorite summer dishes and perfect for a BBQ! ||
So excited to share this recipe with you, but first I have to tell you about the wonderful weekend I had!
It was yet another weekend out of town for the third weekend in a row! Part of my family and I were up in northern Wisconsin for a big Anniversary party for someone in our family. It was a beautiful party and so wonderful seeing family I don’t get to see that often.
Since i’m moving to NYC in only a couple short months, i’m soaking up all this family time.
Here’s a pic of my family from this weekend – note my step mom is pregnant! Baby due next month 😀
I posted more pictures on my LSOTT Facebook page – check it out!
We also spent the weekend hiking, picking wild strawberries and spending time with 4 dogs!
I ate too much, and loved every second of it 😛
Excited for Friday to head up north once again to celebrate the 4th!
and eat way too much again!
Now lets talk Summer Panzanella salad!
Are you obsessed with panzanella like I am??
Ahhh, it’s just SO good!
I really don’t eat much bread, but if I do, I do it right.
By that, I mean I make sure it’s prime quality.
I don’t waste my time eating crappy grocery store sponge bread filled with preservatives and a whole laundry list of ingredients.
For the bread in this Summer Panzanella salad I went to a local bakery called Chez Arnaud in St. Paul – a little french Patisserie.
Totally worth the extra time to get good quality bread. Especially for a dish like this, that is focused around the bread.
That is what makes this salad unique!
Aside from awesome bread, there are a slew of flavors going on…
Red, yellow and orange peppers!
Fresh basil and tarragon!
Olive oil and lemon!
VOILA…it’s light, yet filling from the bread.
4th of July is only a couple days away and this will make a perfect addition at your BBQ!
Or any other BBQ you have this summer.
Since there’s no mayo, cheese or anything like that – you don’t have to be worried about it being refrigerated.
AND you can get most of the ingredients at the farmers market!
Here’s the recipe, Enjoy 🙂
- 3 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 loaf of French Bread - cubed
- 1 Tsp. Salt
- 3 Tomatoes - cubed
- 2 peppers (Yellow, Orange, Red) - cubed
- 1 Cucumber - cubed
- ¼ Red Onion - cubed
- ½ C. Capers - rinsed
- 3 Tbsp. Fresh Basil - chopped
- 2 Tbsp. Tarragon (optional)
- ¼ C. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Lemons Juiced
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- First cube bread into 1" cubes.
- In a large fry pan, add olive oil and heat over medium heat. Add cubed bread, and salt. Cook, stirring often to avoid burning. Takes about 10 to 15 min. or until completely crispy.
- After bread is done, prep all veggies and add into a large bowl. Be sure to wash them before cutting. Cube them all similar in size.
- After all veggies are ready, add bread. Mix well
- Finally, add fresh herbs, olive oil and lemon. Salt and pepper now to taste. Don't be afraid to add a generous amount of salt.
Might want to add more olive oil and lemon juice - make it your own!
**Recipe adapted from Ina Garten**
What’s on your menu for Friday?
I know for sure i’m making my Red, White & Blue Fruit Tart with Lemon & Ginger Mascarpone AND Sweet and Sour Baked Beans 😀
Thanks so much for visiting LEFT SIDE OF THE TABLE!! Have a fabulous day!