Zucchini and portobello mushrooms sautéed with onion and garlic, then drenched in creamy gouda cheese sauce. Nothing beats gouda, it makes everything better 😀
You guys…I run a half marathon this Saturday!! 😛
I don’t think i’ve wrote about that at all…
This will be my second one! I’m running it with my sisters Kristin and Katie, and also Katie’s friend Karina! Quadruple K, woohoo!
I feel much more prepared this time around…thank goodness!
It’s kinda funny though, i’ve never been the best athlete, or runner for that matter. Last time my time kinda sucked, but my goal was just to just finish it. The race was definitely a struggle for me especially at the end. I promised myself I would never do it again cause it was that awful.
Well guess what, i’m back and doing it again. Go figure. At least this time, i’ll have my best peeps by my side 😀
You know what’s really important when you’re working out a lot?? Or training for a race? You guessed it!
I eat lots of veggies especially with dinner (or at least try to!) I’ve been buying a lot of zucchini lately, especially the yellow kind.
Isn’t zucchini great though??
Ohhh the possibilities these days!
You can make noodles, using a fancy spiralizer (which I unfortunately don’t have :/)
Or cut them into strips and throw on the grill…
You can make cute little pizzas out of them…
Or use zucchini in baking…muffins, breads, cakes (which I have yet to try!)
Roast them in the oven with other veggies…
Eat them plain…
Or sauté them with mushrooms, onion, garlic and dump some super creamy gouda cheese sauce all over them! And of course finnish it off with some fresh herbs – chives!
The last one’s the winner!
I’ve been kinda boring about cooking zucchini lately – usually just olive oil, onion, salt pepper….maybe some spices. I usually like to keep my food pretty clean. It does taste wonderful, but kinda boring! I don’t like boring!
But that all changed today when I was at the local farmers market and tried this amazing gouda cheese.
And VOILA that gave me the idea! Why not make a cheesy gouda sauce and pour it over the zucchini!
I always have mushrooms on my hand, cause in case you haven’t noticed I love them!
This is a great dish to pair with any meat off the grill, and maybe a fresh salad! My kinda meal!
It’s a quick meal to whip up, and doesn’t use any kind of canned sauces.
Here’s the recipe – ENJOY
- 2 Zucchini
- 8-10 Baby Portobello Mushrooms
- ¼ Red Onion
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 2 Tbsp. Butter
- 2 Tbsp. Flour
- 1 C. Milk
- 1 C. Shredded Gouda
- 2 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 3 Tbsp. Freshly Chopped Chives
- First prep all the veggies. Wash, dry and slice zucchini. Wipe off mushrooms and slice in big chunks. Dice Onion. Mince Garlic.
- Next, shred the gouda cheese, set aside.
- Begin to saute the veggies. In a large skillet over medium heat, add the olive oil and veggies. Salt and pepper to taste (salt well.) Combine and saute for 15 minutes or until soft.
- In the meantime, make sauce. Begin by melting butter in small saucepan. Once butter has melted, add flour. Cook the butter/flour so it's bubbling, for 2 minutes over low heat.
- Add milk to butter/flour. Bring to a boil over low heat. Add cheese. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a boil once more.
- Chop the chives and add to cream, saving a little to garnish.
- When veggies are done, mix cream sauce with veggies. Garnish with chives and serve immediately.
Hope you enjoy this side dish – Zucchini & Mushrooms with Gouda Cream!
Let me know how it is when you try it.
Thanks so much for visiting LEFT SIDE OF THE TABLE today, happy hump day!