Moist sweet cake, pieces of tart rhubarb, topped off with a buttery, cinnamon and sugar crumble. This Traditional Rhubarb Cake recipe is quick to whip up and uses simple ingredients – a pleasant dessert for a Spring day.
This Traditional Rhubarb Cake recipe goes way the heck back in my family!!
I got this Traditional Rhubarb Cake recipe from my grandma, Ruth, whom I always seem to mention on my blog. Her mother, Mabel (my great-grandma) used to make this cake all the time in the Spring.
Rhubarb Cake is pretty much coffee cake, with chunks of scrumptious seasonal rhubarb in every bite.
Plus, it’s a breeze to make, and uses very basic ingredients….hence why it’s a traditional recipe. Nothing too overcomplicated!
You can eat it any time of day. I literally ate two HUGE pieces of it as I was taking these photos 😀
What can I say..I have a sweet tooth! Oops.
I remember when I was a kid, thinking rhubarb was such a strange food. How it grows out of the ground with gigantic leaves and is an obnoxious pink color.
I love when recipes hold a special memory, or meaning with them. It makes it not only more enjoyable to eat, but making the recipe reminds me of the people and time it’s connected to.
Here’s the recipe, Enjoy 🙂
Traditional Rhubarb Cake
- 2 C. Chopped Raw Rhubarb
- 1 and 1/4 C. Brown Sugar
- 1/2 C. Shortening
- 1 C. Buttermilk
- 1 Egg
- 1 Tsp. Baking Soda
- 1/2 Tsp. Salt
- 1 Tsp. Baking Powder
- 2 C. Flour
- 2 Tbsp. Melted Butter
- 3/4 C. White Sugar
- 1 Tsp. Cinnamon
2. In a large bowl, cream together shortening and sugar. About 1 minute.
3. Add buttermilk and egg, mix until combined.
4. Sift all dry ingredients together in a separate bowl – baking soda, salt, baking powder and flour.
5. Add the sifted dry ingredients to the wet batter. until combined. Fold in rhubarb until combined.
6. In a 9 x 13 ” baking dish, lightly spray with cooking spray. Spoon batter into dish, gently even out with spatula. Lastly, make topping. Melt butter in microwave, then mix sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle on top of batter. Bake in oven for 40-45 minutes. Enjoy immediately, should last 3-4 days.
See I told ya, doesn’t it look easy??
Thanks so much for visiting today, Happy Monday!!