This Homemade Fried Ice Cream recipe is the most heavenly and addictive dessert ever created!!! Layers of sweet and salty corn flake crumble, creamy vanilla ice cream and freshly whipped cream topped off with a generous amount of cinnamon and sugar. Everyone will beg you for the recipe, and that’s a promise.
Ok, first off I want to clear the air. There is NO frying of anything in this recipe. However, at Mexican restaurants where it’s common to find fried ice cream on the menu, it’s actually deep-fried! Crazy to fry ice cream, I know!
Secondly, you’re doing yourself a favor right now that you’ve taken the time out of your busy Friday to read this post, because this dessert is life changing folks.
I know i’m talking this dessert up quite a bit, but this literally is probably one of the best things i’ve EVER eaten.
Who would have guessed that vanilla ice cream, whipped cream, butter, sugar, corn flakes and cinnamon could make such a perfectly dreamy combination. I swear it’s the corn flake crumble with the melted butter and brown sugar that does the trick 😀 I’m drooling writing this post….
Surprisingly i’m not a fan of the fried ice cream that you can get at Mexican Restaurants. Other than the vanilla ice cream and cinnamon this recipe really doesn’t taste like the kind at restaurants….Homemade Fried Ice Cream is wayyyy better.
I first had this at a work party back in the day when I worked retail! My wonderful supervisor Emily, brought in this dessert that she swore was the best dessert ever! Of course I tried it….and well. It was nothing short of that. Emily gave me the recipe, and made it probably 10 times that summer. So the credit goes to EMILY for this fabulous recipe 😀
I actually didn’t make this for a couple of years. I’m kinda a health freak most of the time, and I know once I make this, it’s only a matter of time before I make it again. I ditched the cool whip and made my own whipped cream, and bought organic corn flakes…just to make myself feel a little bit better. I would have made my own ice cream if I had an ice cream maker…
I’ve got all my family and friends hooked on this dessert, and wouldn’t have it any other way.
So if you’re looking for that recipe to WOW a crowd, or you’re in the mood for a fabulous dessert, Homemade Fried Ice Cream is just the recipe for YOU!!
Here’s the recipe – Enjoy 🙂
Homemade Fried Ice Cream
- 3/4 C. Butter
- 1 and 1/2 C. Brown Sugar
- 6 C. Corn Flakes
- 1/2 Gallon Vanilla Ice Cream (softened)
- 1 and 1/2 C. Heavy Whipping Cream
- 2 Tbsp. Powdered Sugar
- 1 Tsp. Vanilla Extract
- Cinnamon and White Sugar (for top)
1. First take out ice cream and sit at room temperature to get soft – about 10-15 min. Place measured amount of corn flakes in large bag and crush. Melt Butter in Medium size bowl in microwave (about 45 seconds.) Add brown sugar to butter and stir until comnbined. Add crushed corn flakes to butter and sugar mixture and stir until combined.
2. Take a 9 x 13 pan and pour half of the corn flake mixture in pan. Firmly pat down to make a crust on the bottom. Next, take softened ice cream and spoon ice cream around entire pan. You want to avoid spreading as much as possible because it will lift crust…so you must spoon small amounts all over pan. Next, gently take spatula and spread to fill any holes. Cover ice cream with remaining corn flake mixture and pat down. Place in freezer while you make whipped cream.
3. In a medium bowl, using a hand mixer, beat heavy whipping cream until turns to whipped cream – about 3-4 minutes. Right before its finished add powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Take the halfway done fried ice cream out of freezer and spread whipped cream on top. Take about 1/2 C. or so of white sugar and dust the top. Generously sprinkle with Cinnamon! Don’t be shy, you want that cinnamon flavor to shine!
4. Place back in freezer for at least 2 hours before eating. Although it can be eaten right away, you really want to allow it all to freeze back up. It’s worth the wait! Trust me!
Every single time someone tries this Homemade Fried Ice Cream, they fall in love with it….and ask for the recipe! SO obviously I had to share it with my lovely LEFT SIDE OF THE TABLE readers.
Please, PLEASE let me know what you think of this recipe when you try it!!
Pin it, share it, LOVE IT!!
Enjoy this first weekend in May, cheers!