It’s Monday and I go to NYC in just two short days. YAY!!!
Sorry to brag guys, i’m just bursting with excitement here! I haven’t been on a trip in what feels like forever…well October when I went to Colorado, so not too terribly long.
Please feel free to tell me some of your favorite NYC foods and restaurants!! Seriously, I want to know!
First off, I must say…I was pleasantly surprised by how much everyone seemed to like my Friday post – 5 ways living in France changed my perception of Food. I had more views on my blog than I have had in quite some time. So thank you!
Of course I found it interesting, but one of those things I don’t think people would find equally interesting. Anyways, had to tell you about the how happy I was to get that feedback 🙂
This recipe today, is a wonderful Springtime salad. I was thinking about how I could create a salad filled with seasonal goodness.
I present carrots, leeks and potatoes.
Instead of just throwing these raw veggies in the salad, they’re slow roasted in the oven with fresh thyme.
The roasted spring veggies are then piled onto a mound of mixed greens. Topped off with pine nuts, and lemon mustard vinaigrette. So fresh and naturally flavored.
The pine nuts add that perfect nutty taste. I love to have some sort of nut in all my salads.
Making this salad made me realize I never cook with leeks… and I have no clue why. They have such a wonderful mild onion flavor, and when cooked properly melt in your mouth. YUM!
I’ve been roasting everything in the oven lately, so it was a no brainer on how I should incorporate the veggies. Roasting is not only an easy method, but it makes food SO flavorful. I love not having to stand over the stove to cook anything.
I’ve had a HUGE craving for salads lately though…must be part of summer fever…anyone with me??
Last summer I literally ate salads everyday and absolutely loved it. It’s been kinda hard for me to get back into my salad groove. After making this one, I realized I still got it in me.
Here’s the recipe, enjoy it 🙂
Roasted Spring Vegetables & Mixed Green Salad
- 1 Leek
- 2 Whole Carrots
- 4 Small Red Potatoes (or any kind)
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp. Fresh Thyme (or any fresh herb)
- Salt and Pepper
- 4 C. Mixed Greens
- 2 Tbsp. Pine Nuts
Lemon Mustard Vinaigrette
- 1 Tsp. Dijon Mustard (I used Grainy)
- 1/2 Lemon Juice
- 2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- Splash of White or Red Wine Vinegar
1. Preheat oven to 400 F. Prep vegetables. Wash them all. Peel and slice carrots. Trim about an inch from each end of the leek. Peel outer layer and slice. Lastly slice potatoes thin, leave skin on.
2. Place vegetables on baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil. Salt and pepper evenly ( a couple pinches of each should do.) Sprinkle wish fresh thyme (remove leaves from stems.) Mix it all together, then place in oven. Cook for 25 – 30 minutes. Halfway through cooking, stir veggies.
3. While veggies are in the oven, make vinaigrette. In a small bowl or liquid measuring cup like I use, add all ingredients, and whisk or use a fork to combine. Taste it, add more lemon if you prefer. Pepper to taste, add salt if you wish. Also, prep salad. Place 2 cups on each plate.
4. When veggies are done, take out of oven. Let sit for 5 minutes. Put half of roasted veggies on each salad. Add 1 Tbsp pine nuts to each salad. Serve immediately.