Reminds me of one thing, always. Popeye the Sailor Man!!! Anyone, anyone??
And WHY did Popeye eat spinach?
To make him healthy and strong of course! Popeye made spinach COOL!
Spinach is filled with many vitamins and antioxidants, no shocking news here. We all know this, right?
The darker greens are always the way to go.
I grew up eating iceberg lettuce, then switched to romain. Was definitely obsessed with romaine for a long time, until last year I started to get spinach. Not sure why exactly I switched. Then slowly I stopped buying romaine, and now nearly all the salads I make use spinach. Organic spinach to be exact!
As you’ve seen in recipes i’ve posted in the past which included spinach
Anywhooo, always looking for new ways to mix things up.
I had tried creamed spinach at a fabulous restaurant here in Minnesota, called Brasa Premium Rotisserie. This place is awesome you guys! If you’re ever in Minnesota, you must check it out. Lots of local, great quality slow cooked meats and an array of unique side dishes, served in small or large portions to encourage sharing.
Since they have like 12 side items to choose from, I tried their jalapeño creamed spinach one day. Fell. In. Love. Not surprised that it was awesome, but saddened I had waited so long to try creamed spinach!
So of course, I had to recreate their creamed spinach at home!
And voila, I hit a home run with this one.
Tastes spot on to what I had at Brasa Premium Rotisserie.
Cooked spinach in a creamy sauce with a hint of jalapeño to give it that extra punch.
Plus guys, it takes less than 10 minutes to make and not many ingredients!!
My perfect side dish.
Here’s the recipe, Enjoy 🙂
Jalapeño Creamed Spinach
- 2 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp. Butter
- 1 Shallot
- 1 Tbsp. Jalapeño Pepper
- 1 Bag Spinach 6 oz Weight
- 1/2 C. Cream (or half and half, just won’t be as thick)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Prep to begin. Mince both the shallot and jalapeño (remove seeds) and set aside. Be careful cutting jalapeño, wash hands well, immediately after. DO NOT touch eyes. Suggested to wear gloves.
2. In a medium fry pan, heat oil and butter over low heat. Add minced shallots and jalapeños. Cook for 3 minutes.
3. Slowly add spinach, not all at once. Continually stir and add spinach, once it has wilted down until the entire bag is cooked.
Oofta, sometimes it’s quite challenging to make spinach look pretty.
But I promise you friends, this recipe won’t disappoint.
Isn’t it hilarious that a whole bag of spinach only makes a small pile of creamed spinach! Crazy how much it wilts down!
Hope you all have a wonderful Wednesday!