Ahhh, more seasonal produce (since the first day of Spring is tomorrow….finally :D)
This is a zesty Arugula salad with the perfect balance of fresh berries, salty feta cheese, crunch from the sliced almonds and peppered chicken drizzled with a homemade balsamic vinaigrette. I have a bit of Summer fever with this salad you guys!!
Not only is there a ton of flavors involved in this salad, but look at all the colors! Packed with nutrients.
One thing you have to know about me, is I adore an awesome salad. Hate the poor reputation salads have for a lot of people. (If you didn’t see my Skillet Chicken and Lime Fajita Salad, it’s kinda unforgettable.)
The thing I enjoy most about Arugula, is that it brings a lot of flavor into a salad. It has a specific sharp taste to it, making it anything but boring. It’s commonly found in pastas and on top of pizza (my favorite!)
I first started to love it when I was studying abroad in Sweden.
I remember going to the little supermarket a couple blocks away from campus and being shocked that there wasn’t a large selection of pre-washed, prepared salad like you can find at EVERY grocery store in the U.S.
However, guess what they did have in bags?! Arugula!
I bought it, and became hooked.
This was also the time that I discovered you don’t have to use bottled salad dressing! SO mind blowing for an American to realize. My European friends would make a simple balsamic and olive oil vinaigrette. Literally, balsamic, olive oil and salt and pepper….EASY right?! I learned to appreciate and recognize the quality of a homemade vinaigrette.
Fast forward to today, and a homemade vinaigrette is the ONLY (or just lemon and olive oil) way I eat a salad.
It’s so crazy when I look back on both my times abroad (France too), and seeing how it affected my views and tastes on food.
Love how experiences shape us!
Here’s the Triple Berry Arugula Salad recipe! Enjoy 🙂
Triple Berry Arugula Salad
- 2 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive OIl
- 2 Chicken Breasts
- 1/2 Tsp. Freshly Ground Pepper
- Pinch of salt
- 4 C. Arugula
- 1/4 C. Blueberries
- 1/4 C. Raspberries
- 4 Large Strawberries
- 2 Tbsp. Feta Cheese
- 2 Tbsp. Sliced Raw Almonds
- 1/4 C. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp. Balsamic
- 1 Tsp. Dijon Mustard
- 1 Tsp. Honey
1. The first thing you want to do is start the chicken. Wash 2 chicken breasts, pat dry. Rub them both with pepper and a couple pinches of salt on each. In a skillet over medium heat, add olive oil and seasoned chicken breasts. Cook until browned on each side, flipping only once.
2. Wash and prep berries while chicken is cooking. Slice strawberries, leave blueberries and raspberries as is.
3. After chicken is done, let sit for 5 minutes while you make the vinaigrette. Stir all the ingredients for the vinaigrette in a small bowl using a whisk or fork until combined.
4. Time to build the salads! Divide up all ingredients between the two salads. Doesn’t matter order. I started with strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, almonds, chicken then feta. Add as much vinaigrette as you want…I like just a couple spoonfuls.
There are a lot of berry salads out there, but this is a combination worth your time!
If you are dreaming of sweet summertime, nothing better than eating berries 😉
Have a lovely Wednesday!!