Have you ever had carrot soup??
I just tried it for the first time recently and absolutely fell in love.
My fabulous German friend, Denise convinced me I HAD to try it!
Boy am I happy I did 😀
Very light and refreshing; perfect for the upcoming SPRING!
I was surprised to see carrots listed as Spring produce!
I like carrots, but to be honest I have never been the most fond of them…
I really enjoy eating them in dishes like a roast or stir fry…or dipped in hummus, but find it almost unbearable to eat plain. Definitely not the girl that brings a bag of carrot sticks for a snack…
Anyone with me?!
Plus, when I was little my mom tortured my sisters and I by making us eat plain carrot sticks with dinner. Being the sly child I was, I remember hiding them in my napkin because I hated eating them.
When my mom found out I hid them in my napkin, I put them in my pockets, or shoved them in my sock…HAH!
After dinner I proceeded to hide them in my toy box.
Yeah…as you can imagine not a pretty sight. Lots of shriveled up, rotten carrots were found at the bottom of my toy box! Oops, sorry mom!
Ohhh the memories!
Times have sure changed. Isn’t it funny the foods you hate when you are younger, and over the years, you magically begin to like them.
Well most of the time…
My sister Kristin still HATES mushrooms. My whole family gives her grief about it. How could anyone hate mushrooms?! They are THE BEST!
Anyways, back to this carrot ginger soup business.
It’s a very smooth carrot soup, bursting with ginger goodness.
I love the punch thats packed into ginger! Mmmm, sure gives this soup an edge.
This is the perfect addition to any meal, or could be a light lunch easily paired with a salad!
This soup recipe is super simple and has incredibly short list of ingredients.
It can be made a head of time or easily stored in the freezer.
Hope you enjoy 🙂
Carrot Ginger Puree Soup
- 1 Tbsp. Coconut Oil
- 2 Tbsp. Butter
- 2 Shallots
- 1 # Carrots
- 1 Tbsp. Ginger root
- 4 C. Vegetable Stock
- 1/2 Lemon juiced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Plain Greek yogurt and chives to garnish
1. Prep shallots, ginger and carrots. Mince shallots. Peel and mince ginger root. Peel and dice carrots small. Set to side.
2. Over low heat, melt coconut oil and butter in a large pot. Add shallots, ginger and carrots. Cook for about 10 minutes until shallots are translucent. Don’t brown.
3. Add vegetable stock, lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a small boil over medium heat and reduce to low and simmer for 30 minutes or so, or until carrots are tender.
4. After soup is done cooking, time to puree. If you have an immersion blender use that. Otherwise blend until smooth in 2 or 3 separate parts…not all at once! Serve warm garnished with a dollop of plain greek yogurt and chives.
And voila! Such a fancy finished product in no time!
Spring is getting closer friends!
Time to lighten up those heavy winter dishes!
Who says you have to lack flavor though?!