Since it is Halloween, of course I had to do something festive; Pumpkin Alfredo! And who doesn’t love eating pumpkin this time of year? I am also excited because this is the first recipe I am posting!! I got inspired by this particular recipe out of Food Network magazine (Oct 2013) but completely changed it making it my own. Truthfully I don’t like following recipes, but love to look at them for ideas. Weird, I know.
Being the health nut that I am, I try to limit complex carbs (white pastas, breads) as much as possible. I eat spinach daily using it in various things from egg scrambles to salads. But I also absolutely love Alfredo sauce. So why not put it over spinach instead of noodles?? Genius idea I must say. I felt full after this meal, but not that overwhelming, can’t move feeling you get after eating pasta. This is a super easy and quick homemade fall meal. Give it a try!!
Here is the recipe:
Pumpkin Chicken Alfredo over Spinach
- 2 Chicken breasts cut into cubes
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- Salt/Pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1 tsp Sage
- 3/4 C Pumpkin puree
- 1 C Half and half
- 2/3 C Shredded parmesan
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp salt
4 Cups raw Organic Spinach
- Start by heating the olive oil a fry pan over medium heat. Wash and pat dry chicken before using. Cube chicken on cutting board. Add cubed chicken to pan. Salt and pepper to taste. Cook until brown 8-10 minutes.
2. While chicken is cooking, melt butter with sage in a separate sauce pan over low heat.
3. Once butter is melted whisk in half and half and pumpkin puree. Turn up heat no higher than medium and bring to a boil.
4. Once sauce has come to a boil, reduce heat to low – medium and whisk in shredded parmesan cheese. Add nutmeg and salt. Cook for an additional 5 minutes. Mix with cooked chicken.